Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I salute you, middle school teachers!

I have been teaching middle school in the Bayou for the past year; and everyday I say to myself, "I need to write this stuff down." So, that it what I am doing. I am not even sure where to start, but I will try...

The other day one of my students, Wes, farted in front of me. I was so taken off guard, not because he did it, but because he was so proud of it. I was like, "Wes, that was totally inappropriate. You know, no girl is going to want to go out with a guy that passes gas in front of them; especially when he finds it so amusing." Wes looked at me, and with all seriousness, says, "Ms. Petty, times have changed since you were young. Girls, today, like it. They think it is cool." I thought I was going to fall out. So, I took a survey. Not much to my surprise, things have not changed...girls still find this act disgusting. (Wes told me that the girls I asked did not count.) This is the same student that walks in everyday, and sprays himself down with my air freshner. I don't stop him either. That spray is my life saver.

I have another student that finds it amusing to talk about drugs on a regular basis. He is known as the "Godfather." One day he asked me how to spell marijuana. I said, "Why are you asking me this?" He responded with, "I want to look it up on the computer. Besides, it is not like every teacher here doesn't know I am a drug dealer. But...they will never catch me." When I told him that I was going to have to report what he had just said to me, he just laughed, and said, "I guess I will just spell it W-E-E-D." Am I the only one that finds this unsettling?

I wish I would have begun this blog earlier. There have been so many stories througout this year that deserve to be written down. I could write a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment