Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Heart Like His


Why does it take visitng a foriegn country to be reminded of my amazing need for having a heart like His? I have been up since 8 am and I can not help but read journal entries and look at pictures from Casa Aleluya. It reminds me that no matter where I am we all serve the same God. The God who is Lord over Mobile, Alabama is the same God who is Lord over San Bartolame, Guatemala. It constantly humbles me when I think about how Casa Aleluya was started by a man whose heart was impacted by seeing children all over the streets of Guatemala without a home. It is almost impossible for me to comprehend what it feels like to be left in a dumpster to die or to be so severely abused by a family member that you need a pedeatric calostomy bag to go to the bathroom. This was my fifth year at Casa, and the stories, no matter how many times I have heard them, always affect me the same.

I am humbled by the Americans that have sold everything they have ever had and given up a culture that is all they have ever known to move to a third world country and truly live out the gospel by loving on kids that desperately need to be loved by a heart like His. The amazing thing about these missionaries is that they do not look at this experience as giving up everything, but as gaining everything. If you talk to them, they will tell you that no matter the financial stressess that they have left back in the states that still consumes their minds, they have no intentions of ever going back there. They have completely put their turst in Lord, and that even though they have worries back home, they know that as long as they are following what He has asked of them, they will be provided for.

This week, I was able to spend time with Adriana, my favorite child from Casa. I have been sponsoring Adriana from the last three years. When I first met her she was 8 years old. She is 17 now, and will be 18 in a month. That is a crazy thought. She has grown up so much. It is amazing how God took this child who was one of the biggest trouble makers when I first met her, and has turned her into a tool for Him. It is a neat concept how God works in the lives of these children. It makes me reflect on my relationship with Him. I can not help but to ask myself if I am allowing Him into every part of my heart, and if I was how would I look differently?

"Lord, give me a heart like yours. Help me to love those around me the way you love the kids of Casa. Remind me to be grateful for what I have. Give me a passion to love the kids I work with on a daily basis, and to not dread going in to work every morning, but fill me with a passion to make You known even if it means only through my actions. It is so easy to say these words, but Monday reality will hit when I walk back through those doors. Give me new eyes. Give me your heart. For the remainder of this school year give me a heart like yours. "

No comments:

Post a Comment